Thursday, August 2, 2012

1, 2, 3, smile!

I know it's been a while but I have been so sick and things have been crazy after getting back from camp! {& I am still working on my Barnabas blog, it will be up before the summer ends and hopefully earlier} But, today I would like to talk about something I noticed at my work last weekend. 


One of the waiters was taking a picture to a group of women.  It was your typical picture, he said "1, 2, 3!" and then took the picture. Normal right? Yes. The part after is the part that shook me. After the flash went of their smiles vanished! They all jumped up to see what they looked like, the waiter walked away, and they went on with their meal. I have seen countless people get their picture taken, but never noticed how quickly the smiles vanish after the camera is out away..  


I feel like so often we are just like these women. It's seems so normal to smile and be happy when we are on camera. {Replace the camera with people.} So often we fake a smile in public and then when we get home it vanishes. We feel the need to smile and be happy around people, when in reality we are hurting. 


Proverbs 15:13 - "A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit."

Crushes the spirit. If you just pretend to be happy, it makes you more upset.  I am not saying to walk around crying. I am saying to be vulnerable. Tell people what's going on. It will lift some of the burden and make you feel better. Be real. Smile when you're happy and tell someone when you are hurting.

xox, 
kirsten



No comments:

Post a Comment